Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Dust Has Settled

So we are still in the middle of our foyer remodel.  It's gone pretty smoothly (if you call climbing up on scaffolding "smoothly").  We removed an old mirror and took down the chandelier. (you can check out the details here)  Then we removed all of the 80's wallpaper.  And while I'm not a fan of 80's decor, I LOVE 80's music so that's what we listened to while working.  Irony.  But anyway, after the wallpaper came down, it was time to fix what was underneath.  We have a good friend who is awesome at fixing drywall.  We asked him if he could come over and skim coat the walls (as we have for every other phase of our house remodel).  And he did his magic over the last few days.  It's a process - skim coat the walls, let them dry, sand, and repeat.  The walls look like new - well worth the dust left behind.  Although I really wanted to work on getting the trim painted, I knew there was no way I could paint during this process.  But now we're ready.  The dust has settled and I've cleaned it all up.  I'm headed back up the scaffolding to start the whole prime and paint process.


So while I was waiting to jump back in, I did some fun "inspirational" research.  Yeah, that's right - Pinterest.  Here's what caught my eye -
Art Nouveau Customs Metal Sculpted Staircase Railings

Stairwell, railings

Iron Masters creates custom railings to fit any home style. #wrought iron, #stair railing

I love the wrought iron railings.  And I'm amazed how much better the swirly-ness looks in black.  So I guess you can figure out my plan - instead of spending thousands on a new railing, I'm painting mine.  I'm really looking forward to leaving the olive green behind.  But first I have to tackle the walls.  Those really tall walls.