Thursday, October 6, 2011

Buffet Lamps - Cheap!

I'm always on the hunt for a really great deal.  I like to shop in the clearance racks, Craigslist, and Salvation Army.  I REALLY do not like to pay retail for anything.  Because of this, sometimes it can take a while for me to find items for my home that I really want.  But I'm patient (well, in decorating at least...).  I don't mind waiting to find the perfect accessory for my home - at the right price.  Which brings me to my next find - buffet lamps for the dining room.

Recently, I repainted my dining room.  It's a beautiful gray (Martha Stewart Flagstone to be exact) and I'm working on adding the details.  It's not a room that we use a lot so I don't want to spend too much.  Here's how the room looks now -


You can check out the before here.  Now I'm trying to finish off the room.  On my wish list are buffet lamps.  I really wanted to frame the round mirror that I hung (which I bought at Lowe's) -


I've looked through the Pottery Barn catalog and found many options, but they are way out of my budget.  They do provide inspiration though.  I was particularly drawn to these -

Orinda Table Lamp Base, Bronze finish

But at $80 a pop (which doesn't include the shade), I just couldn't do it.  So, imagine how happy I was on a recent Salvation Army trip to find these -


Ok, I know they aren't exactly the same - green sponge paint isn't really the look I'm going for here.


What am I going for?  $3.99.  Really.


I picked up some Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint (which makes everything better) -


I taped the top of the lamps - I didn't want to get paint in the socket - and gave them a few light coats -


I picked up shades at Lowe's (they were $14.22 - I use the Lowe's credit card to get that extra 5% off - every little bit helps).  And now they sit proudly in the dining room -



I think they look great!  Here's the cost breakdown -

$7.98 - pair of lamps
$28.44 - pair of shades
$7.28 - spray paint (I have lots left over)

Total - $43.70

Not bad!  And much cheaper than the Potter Barn version (I couldn't have even bought one lamp for that price!).  It's starting to come together in that room.  Just a few more details.

I've shared this project here -

Creations By Kara
Saved By Love Creations
Craft O Maniac
Between Naps on the Porch
Under the Table and Dreaming
Polly Want a Crafter
The Blackberry Vine
Tip Junkie handmade projects