Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Blogging Adventure

I started this blog in July.  I had thought about starting it for a very long time.  But I would often chicken out.  I just didn't think that anyone would care about my little projects. And I was a little nervous about putting myself out there.  I wasn't sure that I was 'ready' for this whole blogging world.

I had often seen other (mostly) women sharing their gorgeous homes with their readers and I would feel a little inferior.  Ok a lot inferior.  I guess we all do sometimes right?  But then one day, I went for it and started My Covered Bridge.  And I told my husband, Craig.  But I was way too afraid to tell anyone else.  And for weeks, Craig would try to tell our friends about my little blog, and I would give him a little nudge under the table and a glance to make him stop.  He took the hint.  But afterward, when we were home, he would plead with me to tell people.  He was very proud of my adventure.  He wanted everyone to know.  But I wasn't ready.

So I wrote a few posts.  And I hit 'publish post'.  And then one day, I had a follower.  It was kind of exciting.  I realized that maybe I had something to offer - and that some people might be interested in my projects.  I was getting more comfortable sharing my world.  Eventually, I even started telling my friends.  And they were very supportive (of course).

This blog is becoming part of my daily routine.  It's the first thing I work on in the morning and the last thing at night.  I am enjoying this more than I ever thought I would.  I am learning so many new things every day - and gaining more confidence.  I'm also gaining new followers.  I am so grateful to these readers - it makes me smile when I get a nice comment - thank you!

So why am I writing about all of this?  Because I am starting to realize just how much this blog has changed my life.  A few short months ago, I would never have had the courage to make my own artwork.  Now, not only did I make it, but I hung it in my dining room and blogged about it!  And I'm so glad that I did!


 And last night, I linked that post to the weekly link party hosted by Donna at Funky Junk Interiors.  She has the most amazing website - what an incredibly creative woman!  And she has a huge link party.  But last night's party was a little different - we were encouraged to link projects that took us out of our comfort zone.  Something we had never done before.



Funky Junk Interiors

Painting my own art?  Yup that's something I've never done before.  So, I linked up.  Then, Donna was generous enough to check out my project (did I mention her blog is HUGE?) and leave a very kind comment - and offer some advice (I LOVE advice - I really have no idea what I'm doing here).  It has been amazing to be embraced by women I don't even know.  The women in this blogging world are incredible.  By the way, do you want to see what Donna created - 


A coffee table made from a wheelbarrow and some scrap wood.  Isn't it gorgeous?  If you love it as much as I do, please go over to Funky Junk Interiors and check out more of Donna's projects - you will be amazed!  So, thank you Donna - you are really an inspiration!

And while I'm thanking people - I'd like to thank Kara over at Creations by Kara.  She featured my coffee table makeover (you can see this transformation HERE) - 




Well, now I'm off to paint the trim in my foyer (painting trim white isn't exactly the most exciting thing to blog about. I'll wait until the whole foyer is finished to post pictures.  But if you're new here, you can check out the before pictures HERE and HERE).

And thanks.