Monday, October 24, 2011

Silver Leaf Tray

Last week, I showed you a tray that I bought at Salvation Army (for $4.99)-


I wasn't crazy about the color and design - but I thought I could dress it up a bit.  And I thought I could try something I had never done before - silver leaf.  I went out to Michael's and bought my supplies-


Silver leaf, adhesive size, brushes, and sealer.  I did use coupons to help keep the cost down.  And I ended up needing more than one package of silver leaf for this project (I did have extra - and I can't wait to show you what else I covered...).  I spent about $20.  So here's the process - I started with the back first-


I brushed on the adhesive size-


It goes on white but clears dry.  I had to let that set up for about 30 minutes (I did some laundry, cleaned the kitchen, and checked out some of my favorite blogs while I waited...).  Then I got started.  I picked up a sheet of silver leaf and set it down in the middle of the tray-


I used a clean brush to smooth it down-


I repeated this process until the back was completely covered.  I did overlap the pieces slightly so it would completely cover the tray-


Then I rubbed the brush over the whole tray to get all of the loose pieces of silver leaf off-


I flipped it over, and repeated the same process on the front-


The last step was to seal it.  I used a spray sealer - I just gave it a couple of coats.  Then I cleaned up the mess-



There were tiny pieces of silver leaf everywhere...but now I have a beautiful piece for my dining room table-


Here's a before and after-





It's really interesting to see all of the 'squares' of silver leaf on the tray.  It's a fun piece - and it was fun to make!  It'll look great when I host Thanksgiving dinner!

I've linked this project here -

Today's Creative Blog
The Blackberry Vine
Hope Studios
A Diamond in the Stuff
Savvy Southern Style
Handy Man Crafty Woman
733 Blog
Sweet Peas and Bumblebees
Creations by Kara
Fireflies and Jellybeans
Beyond the Picket Fence
Tip Junkie handmade projects