Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Silver Leaf Wine Bottle

Yesterday, I showed you how I added silver leaf to an old tray - 


I explained the whole silver leaf process in that post.  It was fun and I was happy with the results.  I also mentioned that I decided to cover another object in silver leaf - that's right, I covered a wine bottle.  I actually got the idea from browsing through the ZGallerie website.  I came across this-


Aren't they beautiful?  They are also $44.95 and up.  Although they are mercury glass, I think it's the shape and shine that really make them fun.  So, I figured a little silver leaf would have a similar look.  I took an empty wine bottle-


I soaked it to get the label off.  And made sure it was clean.  Then, I simply followed the same process as I did for the tray.  I brushed on adhesive size-


Let it dry for about 30 minutes.  Then I set sheets of silver leaf on the bottle and smoothed them with a clean brush.  I wanted a not-so-perfect look so I was applying the sheets in a random fashion-



After the whole bottle was covered, I used the brush to sweep off the excess silver leaf.  I sprayed it with a sealer and now I have this-





The silver leaf wine bottle really has a lot of texture up close.  It will make a cute decoration for holidays.  And it was free.  Woohoo!  You know how I love free!  I had everything on hand.  Actually, I still have more silver leaf left over - there must be something here that would look better shiny...

I've shared this post here -

The Shabby Nest
My Romantic Home
My Repurposed Life
Chic on a Shoestring
Thirty Handmade Days
Remodelaholic
504 Main
Tatertots and Jello
Funky Junk Interiors
Boogieboard Cottage
I Heart Naptime
Under the Table and Dreaming
Between Naps on the Porch
The DIY Home Sweet Home Project
Today's Creative Blog
Young House Love
Bower Power Blog
Ana White
Savvy Southern Style
DIY Club