Thursday, February 16, 2012

T-Shirt Spheres

I've been cleaning out closets lately, and I've discovered something - we have a lot of old t-shirts.  After deciding which shirts are no longer worn, I separated them into different piles.  I sold some to Plato's Closet (that's not a plug - I just like to make a few bucks on my kids out-grown clothes), I donated some to Goodwill, and some were just not good enough for either.  They had stains or were worn out.  I guess just "unwearable".  But I still wanted to do something with them.  Here's what I came up with -


I covered styrofoam spheres in strips of fabric from old t-shirts.  My initial plan was to make lots of these and use them to fill my huge glass bowl.  I had a few styrofoam spheres that I had bought from Dollar Tree a while back but I needed a bunch more.  Unfortunately, when I went back to Dollar Tree last week, I noticed that they no longer had them.  I did find them at Michael's for $3.99 (instead of $1) but that was out of my budget.  So, I used the three that I had and displayed them on this wooden I'm-not-sure-what-it-is that I bought at Salvation Army a while back for a buck.



So here's the very easy step-by-step:

I picked a couple of t-shirts - 



And I cut strips in various widths - 


Then, I used my hot glue gun to secure the ends of the fabric to the styrofoam sphere - 


And I just continued to add strips of fabric in random directions until the styrofoam was completely covered - 



That's it!  Very easy - and very inexpensive!  The whole project only cost me $1 for each sphere!  And although I didn't have enough to fill my huge glass bowl, I think they look great on my transformed dresser





By the way, does anyone know what that wooden thing is?  I would love to know!  I bought it because I loved the shape (and the wood - I have no intention of spray painting it) but I have no idea what it's supposed to be.  :-)

And, I'm super excited to be sharing this project with my first-ever co-hosted link party!  I have started to look through all of the links - it's so fun to see all of these great projects!  It makes me want to host my own link party more and more!  And if you have a project that you'd like to share - there's still time!  Link up!  Thanks again, Jaime, for letting me co-host!

And sharing here - 

Tip Junkie handmade projects