Monday, April 9, 2012

On Being Shy

I'm shy.

{via Pinterest}

I know that surprises people.  Especially because I have a blog.  But I am shy.  And awkward.  And I don't feel comfortable in most social situations.  And, yes, it is sometimes scary to hit "publish" after I write a post.  

Which is one of the reasons I started this blog.  I wanted to push myself a little.  To open up and try something that I wasn't completely comfortable doing.  

I've mentioned that one of my goals this year is to be more confident.  I don't have any idea how I'm going to accomplish this but it still seems important.  So, I decided to make it a priority this week - and at least try to make some headway.  

Why is it so important now?  Well, I have struggled with this most of my life.  I avoid parties, crowds, and even small talk with my neighbors.  I just get too nervous.

I had accepted this about myself years ago, but unfortunately, others have not.

For some reason, other people view me as unfriendly or snobby.  And that makes me a little sad.  Because I'm not.

I'm just shy.

Painfully shy.

And I want to work on being more outgoing.  

So, this week, I want to make some changes.  Try new things.  Be more confident.

I am dedicating the whole week to blog posts about this subject - and I hope that I can help some people  - and maybe even myself.